Nuffnang Ads

Monday, March 17, 2014

Rediscovering Northern Ilocos Sur


It had been my long dream to go back and visit the place where I grew up and spent the first one-third of my life. Oftentimes I asked myself, “Will there ever be a chance for me to travel to Ilocos Sur, my considered home province?
On the 19th of February 2014, Wednesday at around 10:30 PM, I was rushing to a bus terminal in Manila City. I finally found the right time which suddenly made me decide to go to Sinait, Ilocos Sur because my tutees’ school was on a foundation week celebration. Yes, I’m a tutor (a private home service Math Tutor) and I have become too busy even at weekends and holidays for simultaneously I also offer photography service on special occasions as a sideline.

   


I was very lucky enough to board a Farinas bus bound for Laoag City departing at exactly 11:00 PM as a chance passenger due many passenger reservations. The bus had exactly the facilities I wanted for long distance traveling: air-con, comfortable chair, wifi connection, two flat screen monitors for film showing, and a built-in comfort room. The conductor was very courteous in serving the passengers while the driver obviously drove safely as the bus traveled smoothly passing by San Fernando, La Union at 3:20 AM and Candon, Ilocos Sur at 4:30 AM.

          While on board the bus, sporadic memories of my childhood and adolescent days crept into my mind. I grew up with my grandmother in Barangay Calanutian, Sinait, Ilocos Sur. My childhood life with friends was full of adventurous activities especially weekend hill/mountain hiking and river/sea swimming. I left the place in 1977 upon high school graduation to pursue my tertiary education in Manila but eventually obtained my Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering degree at CSA-Bacolod when my elder half-sister supporting me was reassigned for work in Bacolod City. I worked and got married in Negros Occidental. Then in 2006, due laid off from my job and difficulty in life, my family decided to take a risk by selling our house and lot transferring residency to Metro Manila. During that time I went to Sinait but only to attend a wake of my aunt who suddenly died and I never really had the chance to go around for bonding with my childhood friends and classmates.

          My flashback of old memories came to a halt when the bus had its first and only stop over for a meal at The Sisters in Bantay, Ilocos Sur. I bought a pack each of the famous Ilocano delicacies Royal Bibingka and tupig (a baked glutinous rice in a bamboo).   



          The bus resumed its journey and reached Sinait at around 6:10 AM. The town was still silent when I got off the bus as it stopped just in front of the Santo Cristo Milagroso Church per my instruction. I went directly inside the church and heard a morning Mass.

          How I miss the church where I used to attend Mass! I toured myself around the area, had some self-picture taking, and ate breakfast of rice, empanada, and the famous Ilocano pinakbet in a nearby carinderia.                        
                         





  I waited for the Sinait Municipal Hall to open. The main reason why I hankered  going back to Ilocos Sur was to process the documents of a lot inherited from my grandmother which I already intend to sell but didn’t have the lot number basically required for a transfer of title to my name. Fortunately I have high ranking employee-classmates there who readily assisted me.  I immediately got my lot number but was referred to the CENRO Office in Vigan City for the lot’s cadastral map. After a short bonding  with my former classmates, I took a local bus ride to Vigan City.



       I ate lunch in a city roadside carinderia after a smooth processing of the documents I needed. With nothing more to do, I instantly thought of touring the attractions that the place had to offer and so I hired a tricycle then asked the driver to bring me first to the famous Banaoang Bridge. I was thrilled to see breathtaking sceneries of the historical bridge in the province with the new Ilocos Sur Adventure as added attraction.  Then the driver brought me to the famous Bell Tower in Bantay where I got an awesome panoramic view of Vigan City and the surrounding towns. The renovated church of St. Augustine housing the image of Nuestra Senora de Caridad was also a magnificent view to behold. The next destinations The Heritage in Vigan upheld an image of the Spanish era in the city and the Baluarte amazed me especially with its free entrance to the public. Burnayan presented an overview of the dexterous Ilocano hands in molding artistic pots. The Plaza Salcedo was such a relaxing sight with its dancing fountain. The Vigan Cathedral captivated me for its classic architectural designs adorned with various religious figures. Going north to San Ildefonso town, a Basi Revolt waiting shed and an airplane grounded along the highway were instant attractions. My tour ended at Magsingal Museum where the mementos of Ilocano past cultures were religiously preserved.





  






                               

                         
       
                                                           
                                       
                                       

     



                         

                         
   
              The unplanned tour fascinated me tremendously in rediscovering what I have not appreciated much about Northern Ilocos Sur during high school educational field trips. It suddenly changed my outlook about trips and ignited in me a passion to travel for more and be patriotic to discover the hidden natural beauty especially the pristine beaches, historical places/landmarks, and the different cultures of the  entire country.  




        I slept overnight in the house of my aunt in Barangay Calanutian. I had tittle-tattle bonding with childhood friends the following day and after lunch went back to Metro Manila with a new dream and a promise to explore more of Ilocos Region via flight to Laoag City with Cebu Pacific Air and Wego Philippines once I win in this blogging contest but it will surely be more interesting and fun if done with my whole family.  


3 comments:

comment.timestamp = Date.parse(entry.published.$t) + '' ; if (entry.author && entry.author.constructor === Array) { var auth = entry.author[0]; if (auth) { comment.author = { name: (auth.name ? auth.name.$t : undefined), profileUrl: (auth.uri ? auth.uri.$t : undefined), avatarUrl: (auth.gd$image ? auth.gd$image.src : undefined) }; } } if (entry.link) { if (entry.link[2]) { comment.link = comment.permalink = entry.link[2].href; } if (entry.link[3]) { var pid = /.*comments\/default\/(\d+)\?.*/.exec(entry.link[3].href); if (pid && pid[1]) { comment.parentId = pid[1]; } } } comment.deleteclass = 'item-control blog-admin'; if (entry.gd$extendedProperty) { for (var k in entry.gd$extendedProperty) { if (entry.gd$extendedProperty[k].name == 'blogger.itemClass') { comment.deleteclass += ' ' + entry.gd$extendedProperty[k].value; } else if (entry.gd$extendedProperty[k].name == 'blogger.displayTime') { comment.displayTime = entry.gd$extendedProperty[k].value; } } } comments.push(comment); } } return comments; }; var paginator = function(callback) { if (hasMore()) { var url = config.feed + '?alt=json&v=2&orderby=published&reverse=false&max-results=50'; if (cursor) { url += '&published-min=' + new Date(cursor).toISOString(); } window.bloggercomments = function(data) { var parsed = parse(data); cursor = parsed.length < 50 ? null : parseInt(parsed[parsed.length - 1].timestamp) + 1 callback(parsed); window.bloggercomments = null; } url += '&callback=bloggercomments'; var script = document.createElement('script'); script.type = 'text/javascript'; script.src = url; document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(script); } }; var hasMore = function() { return !!cursor; }; var getMeta = function(key, comment) { if ('iswriter' == key) { var matches = !!comment.author && comment.author.name == config.authorName && comment.author.profileUrl == config.authorUrl; return matches ? 'true' : ''; } else if ('deletelink' == key) { return config.baseUri + '/delete-comment.g?blogID=' + config.blogId + '&postID=' + comment.id; } else if ('deleteclass' == key) { return comment.deleteclass; } return ''; }; var replybox = null; var replyUrlParts = null; var replyParent = undefined; var onReply = function(commentId, domId) { if (replybox == null) { // lazily cache replybox, and adjust to suit this style: replybox = document.getElementById('comment-editor'); if (replybox != null) { replybox.height = '250px'; replybox.style.display = 'block'; replyUrlParts = replybox.src.split('#'); } } if (replybox && (commentId !== replyParent)) { document.getElementById(domId).insertBefore(replybox, null); replybox.src = replyUrlParts[0] + (commentId ? '&parentID=' + commentId : '') + '#' + replyUrlParts[1]; replyParent = commentId; } }; var hash = (window.location.hash || '#').substring(1); var startThread, targetComment; if (/^comment-form_/.test(hash)) { startThread = hash.substring('comment-form_'.length); } else if (/^c[0-9]+$/.test(hash)) { targetComment = hash.substring(1); } // Configure commenting API: var configJso = { 'maxDepth': config.maxThreadDepth }; var provider = { 'id': config.postId, 'data': items, 'loadNext': paginator, 'hasMore': hasMore, 'getMeta': getMeta, 'onReply': onReply, 'rendered': true, 'initComment': targetComment, 'initReplyThread': startThread, 'config': configJso, 'messages': msgs }; var render = function() { if (window.goog && window.goog.comments) { var holder = document.getElementById('comment-holder'); window.goog.comments.render(holder, provider); } }; // render now, or queue to render when library loads: if (window.goog && window.goog.comments) { render(); } else { window.goog = window.goog || {}; window.goog.comments = window.goog.comments || {}; window.goog.comments.loadQueue = window.goog.comments.loadQueue || []; window.goog.comments.loadQueue.push(render); } })(); // ]]>
  1. @rowenajao, thank you very much for the compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear readers, please highlight, right click, and open this link https://www.facebook.com/wegoph/posts/10151963451936752 then LIKE and SHARE to VOTE for this travel blog entry. Thank you in advance for your VOTE. May God continue to bless us all.... :)

    ReplyDelete